You strongly agree with me that entertainment in itself is incomplete without music.
This is because music speaks to the soul and refreshes the soul, be it for fun, pleasure, advise and entertainment as a whole.
Music plays very vital role in a country’s merchandise exports and in some cases contribute immensely to a country’s GDP.
Music in Ghana is done purposely for passion, fun, pleasure, and money.
And now in this section, I’m going to make available some of the most popular songs in Ghana and in fact the most popular ones in the year 2017 respectively.
1. ‘One corner’ – Patapaa – ‘ONE CORNER’ by Patapaa was the song of the year 2017 regardless. Justice Amoah shot to fame as ‘Patapaa’ had the biggest song ever in 2017 with his onetime hit song ‘ONE CORNER’.
The song took Ghana to the world and conquered all the hit songs for about six months nonstop and unbeaten. The song which has no video invented a new dance called “the one corner dance” for the world for the first time in history.
The “One Corner dance” triggered Chris Brown and some other celebrities in Africa to join the song. For the first time an unknown artiste in Ghana got over 1 million music downloads and unlimited streaming online.
The song created so much controversies and had almost everyone in the world talking about it and its immediate consistent penetration. I’m just short of words for its miraculous hit.
‘ONE ’CORNER’ was the God’s plan breakthrough hit for Patapaa and we are looking forward to seeing him come up with more bangers in 2018.
2. ‘Odo’ – Kidi – Kidi’s ‘ODO’ was released right after his smash hit single dubbed ‘say you love me’. The song ever since its release remained on top 10 Ghanaian music charts for almost 4 months.
The song was among a few which evaded the Nigerian music market in 2017 and I have no option than to place it on the no.2 spot.
Digital downloads and streaming kept increasing day in and day out as it enjoyed massive plays at the night clubs, events, in the streets, radio and Tv.
Nigerian music star, Davido called for a feature on the song due to it penetration and masterpiece. He won the High life song of the year award at the 2018 VGMA’s
3. ‘Taking Over’ – Shatta Wale -‘TAKING OVER’ by Shatta wale deservedly without doubts took the third spot in our ranking.
Shatta wale released ‘TAKING OVER’ featuring the militants in 2017 and it did magically marvelous as it took over the airwaves for no reasons.
The song topped all the musical charts in Ghana for about two months unbeaten.
Again there is no moment you will never hear about this song in the clubs, streets, events, radio and Tv shows, and all the digital platforms. Most importantly the song got over millions of downloads within a month.
4. ‘Angela’ – Kuami Eugene – ‘ANGELA’ was big in 2017! Kuami Eugene’s ‘Angela’ was very popularly and I will tell you why.
The song which was released in September 2017 got all the attention and almost halted all the hit songs banging at that very moment.
It was also a beast of digital streaming and downloads at that very moment of its trend. Angela was Kuami Eugene’s breakthrough song. He also won the New artiste of the year at the 2018 VGMA’s
5. ‘Grind day’ – Kwesi Arthur -Number (5) on our list is Ghanaian young chap, B.E.T nominee and hip pop star, Kwesi Arthur. Kwesi Arthur’s breakthrough happened when he dropped his first Professional single crowned “GRIND DAY” in 2017.
“Grind day” was the biggest hip pop song in 2018. ‘GRIND DAY’ was being played everywhere in Ghana talk of the night clubs, events, parties and above all got booked and endorsed by Sarkodie, M.anifest and was one of the most downloaded music online.
6. ‘Total cheat‘ – Fancy Gadam – ‘Total cheat’ was one of the most popular songs in Ghana last year. The song which had sarkodie’s presence in there was able to cut across all Regions and everyone was jamming to it, it received massive airplay and enjoyed very lots of digital streaming and downloads.
The song won two awards at the just ended VGMA’s, most popular song of the year and hip life song of the year.
7. ‘Bronya‘ – Wutah – ‘Bronya’ by Ghanaian music duo Wutah was the biggest high life song of the year, 2017.
The song is a typical palm wine high life song , and, it was their first come back after almost 4 years since they parted ways.
The song had about 4 nominations at VGMA’s. Wutah won best group of the year, 2017 with ‘Bronya’
The song which was released in the third quarter of 2017 was the talk of town and the song of the moment, it was one of the most played songs on air and most downloaded and streamed songs in 2017.
The song was nominated in the 2018 VGMA Afropop song of the year category. ‘Oh yeah’ was one of the most popular songs in Ghana.
9. ‘Bawasaba’ – Stonebwoy – ‘Bawasaba’ was released in the last quarter of 2017 and it blew up just like that but off course Stonebwoy himself admitted that, the late Ebony played a role in making the song very popular.
10. ‘Freedom’ – Shatta wale – Undoubtedly everyone enjoyed ‘Freedom’ in the year 2017 and even in the first quarter of 2018.
Shatta released this song in the last quarter of 2017 and again the song did magic and even broke into the BBC. Although a lot criticized the song, it still reigned for some time and enjoyed very massive air plays in and across the country.
Thanks for your attention.
Please subscribe to my blog for more celebrity updates and buzz like this.